October is dyslexia and blindness awareness month!
What a great time to celebrate EAR READING
(audiobooks) and our Learning Ally
October is also a month centered around all things SPOOKY. With that in mind, we want to hear from YOU about your favorite book or line from a book that gives you chills.
How does it work?
- Ask a parent's permission
- Follow us on social media, either Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter
(make sure we can SEE your posts by making them public).
- Get creative posting books or lines from books that "give you chills" - you can read the line and video it, type it, or even take a photo of the book itself (like the picture to the right). We'll accept them all in the contest!
- TAG us by using @LearningAlly *and* use the hashtag #LearningAllyGivesMeChills
- Each post enters your name to win an autographed book from a spooky author like R.L. Stine, Ursula Vernon or Robert Beatty! Keep posting because you may be chosen! We'll announce the winners on our social platforms on October 27th.
Other FUN Activities lined up:
- Wear RED to school or work on October 17th, Monday, to honor World Dyslexia and Blindness Day (which is the 15th).
- Tune into our Learning Ally Facebook page on October 27th at 1pm Eastern for a special message from Robert Beatty, author of the mysterious Serafina series (Serafina and the Black Cloak and Serafina and the Twisted Staff).
- Ask parents and teachers to sign up for our December online conference, Spotlight on Dyslexia, to learn and grow this year!
- Join our Virtual Student Bonfire on October 19th to connect with other students just like you! We do these once per month.
- Parents won't want to miss Dr. Vaughn Lauer of IEPHelp.com's Q&A session in our hour-long webinar on October 19. Dr. Lauer will also be speaking at our Spotlight on Dyslexia online conference.
- Ask your teacher to join #EdTechChat on October 24th at 8pm ET when AOGPE Certified teacher Sharon Plante will lead us in a discussion surrounding dyslexia in the classroom. Ms Plante is also a Spotlight on Dyslexia Speaker. Follow us on Twitter: @Learning_Ally
- Want to do something bigger? Give yourself the gift of more knowledge by registering for our Spotlight on Dyslexia Online Conference today!
Download these awesome books to get the CHILLS started:
Goosebumps: Night of the Living Dummy
Serafina and the Black Cloak
Goosebumps: The Barking Ghost
The Hunger Games
I Survived the Shark Attacks of 1916
Haunted Castle on Hallows Eve
is a national not-for-profit that provides services to students and adults with print disabilities, like dyslexia or blindness. Our library of over 82,000 human-narrated audiobooks
includes both textbooks and novels.
We also have peer-to-peer mentoring for college students who are blind or visually impaired and a high school dyslexia mentoring program.